With the recent resignation of Ann Green, Director of Music, St. Andrew’s is now searching for a new person to fill the position of Director of Music. We thank Ann for her many years of musical leadership and enthusiasm. We wish you all of God’s blessings in your future endeavours.
Below is a copy of the “Position”, please feel free to pass this on to anyone you may know.
ST. Andrews Hespeler Presbyterian Church
POSITION: Director Of Music
SCOPE: St. Andrews Hespeler Presbyterian Church has a current vacancy for the position of Director of Music. This contracted position is responsible for the overall music program involving the Sunday Worship Services and other special services of worship, as well as providing accompaniment, instruction and direction for both the Youth and Adult Choirs, Worship Band, soloists and instrumentalists.
You are encouraged to visit St. Andrews’s Website www.standrewshespeler.ca, to learn more about St. Andrew’s and consider your calling to become a part of our Church family.
Specific Listing of Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Music will fulfill the following duties and responsibilities:
· The Director of Music will provide musical support for regularly scheduled Sunday services, special Christmas services, Easter Services and such other special services of worship as may be mutually agreed upon with the Minister and the Music and Worship Committee.
2. Choir(s) and Choir Practices
· The Director of Music will provide the accompaniment, instruction, and direction of the Choir(s), Worship Singers, soloists, instrumentalists. Duties to include:
– Seating arrangements of choir members
– Location and preparation and tidiness of choir room and sanctuary for choir practice
· The Director of Music will hold senior choir practice once a week from the beginning of September through June and any additional practices, if and when necessary for special services or events.
· The Director of Music will involve the senior choir, whenever possible and practical, with any significant decisions that affects the choir. Regular communication with the Choirs will be carried out. The Choir to be consulted as to the type and selection of Music most preferred.
· The Director of Music will spearhead recruitment of choir members, and assist in the ongoing spirit of enthusiasm among choir members.
3. Selection and Presentation of Music
· The Director of Music will lead the congregation in hymns of praise to the Lord by playing the organ or piano and directing the choir(s).
· The Director of Music will select and prepare preludes, offertories and postludes to compliment the service and to maintain the continuity of the worship service.
· The Director of Music will select the anthems to be presented in consultation with the minister.
· The Director of Music will be responsible to select the music to be purchased with allocated Worship Committee funds.
· The Director of Music will make arrangements for special music for worship services, e.g. Solos, duets, trios, quartets and instrumental groupings, including:
– Consultation and selection of special music by the personnel mentioned above.
– Rehearsing with music presenters prior to the service or event.
· The Director of Music will meet with the Minister regarding the dates and times of weddings and funerals.
· The Director of Music will provide musical accompaniment for weddings
(Including rehearsals), memorial services and funerals on a fee for service basis, with the fee approved by the session, unless alternative arrangements are negotiated.
· The Director of Music will select and prepare suitable music for weddings and funerals in consultation with persons involved.
· The Director of Music will meet and rehearse with presenters prior to weddings and funerals.
· The Director of Music will be responsible for arranging and paying for a supply organist.
· The Director of Music will ensure the proficiency of the supply organist as an accompanist at both the organ and/or piano for both vocal and instrumental groupings.
. The Director of Music will report to the Music and Worship Committee the
Regular maintenance of the church organ and pianos.
. The Director of Music will supervise access to, and use of, the church organ,
piano, drums, music stands and audio equipment.
Relationships and Reporting Responsibilities
· The Director of Music will consult and work closely with the Minister regarding:
– The inclusion and the position of choir and special music in the order of service of worship
– The provision of musical services at weddings and funerals as outlined above.
– The arrangements pertaining to the provision of supply organists.
· The Director of Music will serve as a non-voting staff resource person to the Music and Worship Committee of Session.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
Candidates for this position should hold advanced musical accreditation (e.g. University or
Conservatory of Music,) and be able to demonstrate a proven ability in the operation of
both the pipe organ and piano. As well, candidates should have several years of experience
and good skills in choral direction and accompaniment. A thorough knowledge of both
traditional Worship music and contemporary Christian music is a preferred asset. The
successful candidate should be comfortable working with people of various ages and abilities,
as well as being a long range planner with good organizational skills.
To Apply to this Position:
Qualified applicants are requested to submit a cover letter and resume, either on line, via
mail, or in person, outlining your interest in this position, as well as your relevant
experience and qualifications, by Friday November 8, 2013. Thanks to all applicants who
apply but please note that only those candidates selected to move forward in this
recruitment, will receive a direct response.
St. Andrew’s Hespeler Presbyterian Church
Attention: Reverend Scott McAndless
73 Queen Street East, Cambridge, Ontario